Some small business owners reported the following potential issues with Clover as a payment processing platform:
- High costs: Clover offers various hardware and software options that can become quite expensive for a small business. Besides the initial hardware costs, there are also monthly fees, transaction fees, and other potential charges, which may not fit into the budget of a smaller enterprise.
- Contract Terms and Termination Fees: Some users have reported dissatisfaction with Clover’s contract terms, specifically concerning the long-term contracts and high termination fees. Clover’s agreements, when sold through merchant services providers, often come with a three-year term and an early termination fee.
- Limited Customization: While Clover has numerous apps that can add functionality to its systems, its core software may not offer the same level of customization or flexibility that some businesses might need. If a business has unique needs or processes, they may find Clover’s software limiting.
- Proprietary Hardware: Clover’s hardware is proprietary, meaning it only works with Clover’s software. If a business decides to switch to a different system, they won’t be able to use the Clover hardware with that new system.
- Customer Support: Some users have raised concerns about Clover’s customer service, citing difficulty reaching representatives or resolving issues in a timely manner.
- Transaction Holds and Account Terminations: Some users have reported funds being held due to Clover’s risk mitigation processes, causing significant disruption to the cash flow of their businesses. In some extreme cases, accounts have been terminated, leaving the business without a means to process transactions.
These problems won’t apply to all small businesses, and many are common to other payment processors as well. However, it’s essential to do proper research, consider the unique needs of the business, and understand the terms and conditions before choosing a payment processing system.
Do you manually process your customer payments?
Outsource your lockbox processing function to Alliance Payment Solutions.
Alliance Payment Solutions, Inc. is a nationwide leading remittance processing and document imaging company headquartered in the Midwest. As a private lockbox company, we offer a boutique approach by providing white-glove service tailored to each individual client. Alliance is large enough to handle high volume while remaining small enough to cater to individual requests.
Alliance Payment Solutions provides remittance and imaging solutions that are simple, straightforward and convenient to use. Regardless of what industry, we provide products and services designed to meet your specific needs. Choose Alliance and reduce your staffing needs, minimizing the time spent collecting and processing payments, as well as researching and handling exceptions.
Don’t see your industry listed? No worries. Alliance’s solutions can work for you too! Contact us today to discuss your unique business needs. (517) 336-5833